Location: On the Boardwalk at the Ocean City Inlet, Ocean City, MD, 21842
Contact: (410) 289-4991
Built in 1891 and originally named the Ocean City Life-Saving Station, the Life-Saving Service and later the U. S. Coast Guard actively used the building until 1962. The life-saving station was part of the coastal system, established by the United States Treasury Department, for the saving of vessels in distress and lives in peril upon the water. Over the years, the building fell into a state of disrepair and was used by the city for various government departments. However, in 1977, the building was scheduled for demolition. A group of concerned citizens then formed the Ocean City Museum Society and with the generosity of the mayor and city council, who made funds available to the society, the building was saved by moving it to its present location. After much restoration to its exterior, the station house was officially dedicated as a museum on Christmas Day, 1978.