: 41 Bethany Road, Selbyville, DE 19975
: (302) 436-1040
"Before the building of the Phillip C. Showell School, the No. 210 Black School was located on a portion of the school's present school property. This school educated students in grades one through eight, had only four classrooms, and students only attended half-day sessions.
Eventually the No. 210 School was cut in half and moved to make room for a new school. Since additional land was needed for the new, bigger school, the land of Cannon Showell, an adored local, was used. Showell had purchased the land where the school is located for one to two dollars per acre from the Baltimore Trust Company. At the time, Showell's home was located on the front yard in the area of the school's current marquee sign. To accomodate the new school his home was moved just a couple hundred yards east along Route 17 on the north side.
The Phillip Cannon Showell School was completed for school to begin in September, 1958, for black students in grades 1 through 8. It school was named after Cannon Showell because he was so well respected and liked by everyone."