: (302) 645-8983
Today, Cape Henlopen State Park encompasses over 7,000 acres of beach, dune, forest, and wetland at the mouth of the Delaware Bay and contains a wealth of natural beauty. The variety of habitats within the park makes it a valuable home to many species of birds, reptiles, and mammals. Nearly 20 miles of hiking trails and numerous interpretive displays throughout the park help visitors learn about these fascinating natural features.
In addition, several WWII-era bunkers provide scenic overlooks, and one of the concrete observation towers has been renovated to provide a panoramic view of the Cape. Some other attractions include a quarter mile long fishing pier, guarded beaches in the summer, camping facilities and an 18-hole disc golf course.
- open daily: 8 a.m. to sunset year-round
- amenities / facilities: kayak rentals, bike trail, family camping, youth group camping, primitive camping, disc golf course, drinking water, dump station, firewood sales, fishing (w/ pier and tackle shop), athletic fields, horse trails (w/ ocean beach riding November - April), laundry facilities, nature center, nature trails, pavilions, picnic areas, refreshments, restrooms, shower facilities, swimming beach / pool (w/ lifeguards in the summer)
Other Notable Attractions
- Cape Henlopen Fishing Center: (302) 645-6111; open May 15 - October 1, 7 days a week; Monday - Thursday, 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., Friday and Saturday, 6 a.m. to Midnight, Sunday, 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.; offers bait and tackle, fishing gear, snacks, beverages, rod and reel rentals, items for campers and visitors (bug spray, sunscreen, etc.), and fishing related demonstrations, lectures and tournaments
Fort Miles Historical Area: A World War II Observation Tower, Barracks, and Battery 519 are all a part of this historical site.
- Cape Henlopen Beach Accessory Rentals: (302) 684-2995; open Memorial Day through Labor Day, 7 days a week, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; open weekends only in May and September; offers daily and weekly beach umbrella an chair rentals, rafts, boogie boards and surf mats
Cape Henlopen Snack Foods: (302) 684-2995; open Memorial Day through Labor Day, 7 days a week, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; open weekends only in May and September; offers hamburgers, hot dogs, subs, sandwiches, fries, beverages, candy, etc.
- Gordon's Pond Beach Accessory Rentals and Snack Foods: (302) 227-7620; open daily from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. from the fourth week in June through the second week in August, open weekends from Memorial Day weekend through the third weekend in June and from the third weekend in August through the end of September; offers daily and weekly beach umbrella and chair rentals, food, beverages, etc.
- Camping: (302) 645-2103; 150 sites, available from March 1 to November 30; 17 family sites without hookups (DE residents $25 per night, DE non-residents $29 per night), 139 family sites with water hookups (DE residents $27 per night, DE non-residents $31 per night)
- Biden Environmental Training Center: (302) 644-5005; casual facility offering overnight accommodations and meeting space for groups, ideal for conferences, meetings, retreats, training, and educational programs; meeting rooms accommodate from 30 to 80, dining room offers seating for 64, overnight accommodations house 21 to 55 guests, three per room
- Seaside Nature Center: (302) 645-6852; open Monday - Saturday from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. and Sunday from 12 - 4 p.m.; offers environmental education programs and recreational activities year-round, and is a good place to stop for park information. Marine aquariums and displays let visitors meet ocean creatures face to face. An auditorium for audio-visual programs and gift shop complete the attractions.